We are challenged in our family with far too many health and well being issues so in order to try and rectify them we are going to do GAPS

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

GAPS Intro Day 1


We filled our chest freezer yesterday with lovely organic beef and chicken. I bought a side of beef and 4 chickens, we picked them up last night and when we got home I put a chicken into one slow cooker for chicken stock and filled another with beef bones to make bone broth.

The chicken stock was ready last night and I left the bone broth simmering all night and will keep it going for 48 hours, then I will strain it off and make a second batch of bone broth from the same bones. The only thing I have added to these are salt and pepper and a dash of apple cider vinegar.


Breakfast this morning was rissoles- meat balls made of 2kg of beef mince mixed with salt and pepper and  a finely diced onion, some garlic and a grated carrot. I cooked them in a pan half filled with simmering bone broth into the broth I also added 3 sliced carrots, cloves of garlic and 3 onions. Once all the rissoles were cooked the remaining broth and veggies were blended up into a sauce.

We have also had cups of the bone broth 
and added some juice from the cultured ginger carrots. 
It was ok - we are struggling with the fattiness of the stocks and the meatballs we normally eat what I thought was a healthy diet using lean meats. I am also struggling with the fattiness of the cooking utensils when I am trying to clean them and worried about my septic system- That might be my next research project.

Its almost lunch time here, I have a pounding headache and have just finished kitchen work for the morning, I was planning on making broccoli and chicken soup for lunch but we both feel a bit sick and there are leftover meat balls and bone broth bubbling away so we have decided we will continue with them for now if we are hungry and have soup for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment